To grow high-quality, great yielding cannabis crops, you need to start with premium, verified, and outstanding seed and clone stock from great breeders. You need to know what cultivars you are going to grow, what cannabinoids you are cultivating, the terpene profile you desire, and how you are going to grow them.
Most growers new to the cultivation space simply take whatever genetics they can find (or whatever’s given to them). These growers who do not do their genetics research will not end up with the terpene diverse, nutrient dense, delicious, frosty nuggets that High Times frequently has plastered on their cover page. That’s because great cannabis is grown with great genetics and great nutrients (we will get to that later).
Today’s breeders get better with every season. Growers utilize combinations of great female genetics with optimum yields and breed them with males who produce strong pollens for genetics that result in exceptional seeds for the next grow.
Before you buy your clones, seeds, or seedlings do a little research on several different types of cannabis breeders, look at different cultivars, focus on the characteristics to you are aiming for and if they have been grown in your environment.
You must know if you are going to grow an Auto Flower or Photoperiod driven plant. Indica, Sativa, or Hybrid. Some cultivars produce huge buds, while others prioritize higher THC or CBD concentrations but may bring smaller yields. Ask the following questions and you go in the right direction for your next seedling grow.
- “Do you have a COA from the last harvest of this cultivar?”
- This is a certificate of analysis verified through a third-party lab that can give you the total percentages of cannabinoids and terpenes.
- If they do not have a COA and say, “It’s gas, trust me on that.” Find another breeder, growing requires some certainty and breeders’ job is to provide it through verified testing.
- “What is the germination percentage I should expect if I do the following?”
- 10-hour soak, 8-hour damp paper towel
- Seed breeders should know the germination percentages for each seed that they say. Also, reputable seed breeders will give you tips to reach the optimal seedling conditions
- “What is the feminized rate of your seeds?”
- You can get traditional seeds that you sort through later in flowering to identify males prior to pollination.
- Feminized seeds are great for your grow and some growers can guarantee a 99% feminized rate but being diligent for males is always crucial to a successful grow.
When choosing a clone or rooted seedling - especially if you’re receiving them from a breeder - be sure to look closely for any signs of bugs, mold, or disease before adding them to your garden. Some clone growers actually offer a clean stock guarantee, and you should take them up on that offer and ask the following questions…
- What was your cloning process? Did you introduce any cleaning agents prior to taking the cutting? What was the age of the mother it was taken from?
- What was the cloning media that was utilized? Are they going to be inoculated with mycorrhizae or beneficial bacteria? What was your IPM during the cloning process and growing process of the mothers?
- Do you offer any guarantees or replacements if there is disease pressure that is recognized down the line? Quantity price breaks?
- Also ask for the recommended hardening off steps to ensure they transition into your growing system seamlessly. Seedlings are already acclimated to your climate if you grow them, but clones and seedlings you purchase are not necessarily.
The extra cost for high-quality clones, seeds, or seedlings will pay off when it comes time to harvest, and you’ve got the biggest, tastiest flowers that you will enjoy and continue to cultivate seasons to come.
For more information about quality seeds and ideal genetics from a group of experts learn more at Humboldt Seeds and how they recommend you start your genetics and seedlings.
Remember you can utilize Peace Pipe Potting Mix Indoor Pro by Comanche Compost when you are starting your seedlings and or clones. Peace Pipe Potting Mix Indoor Pro Designed to give your baby clones and seedlings a jump start on life. This hybrid performance formula produces maximum yields by combining porous perlite #3, long-fibered sphagnum peat moss with Wildroot Organic Mycorrhizae and a hybrid fertility package engineered and studied at Texas A&M University. Feeds plants up to 28 days.
The inclusion of our large and chunky perlite #3 accelerates vegetative growth by increasing airflow into and out of the root zone. Provides optimal drainage.
This particular long-fibered peat moss used is highly sought after by top cannabis cultivators and delivers consistent water holding, dry down & capillary re-hydrating action in every bag. Ensures optimal moisture retention.
The Wildroot Organic Mycorrhizae additive facilitates the underground nutrient-gathering, cycling and uptake processes and also decrease uptake and transference of excess heavy metals into the plant tissue.
Thanks for reading and please visit our shop to get started on your grow and stay social with us and reach out to our team if you have any questions about your soil and fertilizer needs.
Learn more about Comanche Compost Co. and stay up to date with other giveaways and cultivation pop up events around you!